Buller District Council

Planning & Resource Consents

The Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA) sets guidelines for the use of New Zealand’s natural and physical resources, in both the urban and rural environment.

Local authorities (eg district, city and regional councils) are required to implement the RMA and oversee its day to day running. The main way we do this is by drawing up district and regional plans – documents that interpret the objectives of the RMA and translate these into actual rules and laws that apply within specific districts and regions.

The Buller District Plan (BDP) has the objectives, policies and methods, including rules that guides how we manage issues affecting people and communities, ecosystems, land, rivers, air and water. The rules in the BDP will say whether you can do something as permitted activity, meaning you can do it as of right, or whether you need to get a resource consent first.

  • When the Council considers your application for resource consent, we follow the rules, assessment matters, objectives and policies in the BDP. We also have to follow any rules that central government has made, called National Environmental Standards.

Permission must be obtained to carry out activities that are restricted or controlled by the rules set out in the Buller District Plan.

To find out whether you need to apply for resource consent or for any other planning enquiry, please contact Council’s Duty Planner either by emailing planning@bdc.govt.nz, or by phone (03) 788 9603 between the hours of 10am to 12pm and 2.30pm to 4.30pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday to discuss your proposed activity.

To better understand the Resource Management Act, the Ministry for the Environment has provided a series of publications on everyday matters relating to the RMA and resource consent processes
Ministry for the Environment Website



Live Cam