Skip to main content

Rates rebate

The rates rebate scheme is overseen by the Department of Internal Affairs to provide assistance towards rates for low income earners.

What is a rates rebate ?

A rates rebate is a once per year subsidy payment deducted off your district council rates.

The amount of this payment depends on a combination of your income, the amount of rates you have to pay, and the number of dependents you look after.

  • The maximum rebate is $790
  • Your spouses income is taken into account as well as your own (that’s total household income)

Income does not include the following:

  • Disability allowance
  • Cash grants/capital payments
  • War widow’s or war disablement benefits
  • Medal or honour payments
  • Grants for funeral expenses
  • Prizes and winnings
  • Family support

Frequently asked questions

If you wish to find out if you are eligible for a rebate please click here.

Our staff are happy to help, but you must have all the information with you when you come to submit the application.

You can either:

  • Click here to download a rates rebate application form 2024-25. We need to receive your application by 30 June 2025.
  • Pick up an application form from one of our Council Customer Services teams in either Westport or Reefton
  • Phone us on 0800 807 239 or 03 788 9111 and we will post a form to you. Council staff will also be posting out forms to those who received a rates rebate in the previous year.

You need to complete the form and either:

  • Complete the application form and include your proof of income. You need to drop off your application form and the proof of income at one of our offices in Westport or Reefton before 30 June.
  • Get an authorised person to sign the form (see details on the application form) and send the form to PO Box 21, Westport 7866. Due to postal delays we suggest your post your application by 18 June.

To make your application you must have:

  • Your rate accounts for Council and the West Coast Regional Council
  • Proof of income – this could be an IRD summary of earnings, certificate of earnings from your employer(s), statement of interest from your bank, details of share dividends, copy of your audited accounts if you are self-employed or any combination of the above.
  • Proof of Work and Income payments can be obtained by visiting Work and Income offices. Thier staff can complete the earnings figure on the form and stamp the form with their stamp.

If you receive your household income from NZ superannuation only, you do not need to provide proof of income or contact Work and Income NZ or the IRD, but Council will be using the figures supplied by the Department of Internal Affairs (being single $30,090.84 and double $22,869.08 each).

If these figures are applicable, then please simply tick the box next to NZ superannuation and indicate whether it is for a single or double. 

Otherwise, you will need to obtain the correct information from WINZ or IRD.

InIf you currently pay your rates by direct debit, this will be adjusted to allow for the credit once the Rates Rebate Application has been processed.