Buller District Council administers four cemeteries in Westport, Mōkihinui, Cronadun and Reefton.
Council cemeteries currently available for interment are:
- Orowaiti Cemetery – Utopia Road, Westport
- View the Orowaiti new cemetery plots.
- Mōkihinui Cemetery – Lewis Street, Mōkihinui
- Reefton Suburban Cemetery – Buller Road, Reefton
- Boatmans Cemetery – Boatmans Road, Cronadun
- Karamea Cemetery is run by a Board of Trustees, located – Ōpārara Loop Road, Karamea
- View the Karamea Cemetery plots.
- Karamea Cemetery Site Plan and Register
Some plot numbers in the search database are duplicated (dependant on the year of interment) and therefore when you click on ‘other interments’ it does not necessarily mean that all people listed as ‘other interments’ are buried in the exact same plot.
If you have any queries please contact our Customer Services team on 0800 807 239.
Cemetery burial records for Westport and surrounding areas are held at the Council office on Brougham Street, Westport.
Cemetery records for Reefton are held at the Reefton Service Centre, Broadway, Reefton.
Records for the Lyell Cemeteries are not available online.
The following is a list of closed cemeteries in the Buller District:
- Middle Orowaiti Cemetery, Utopia Road/State Highway 67, Westport
- Old Orowaiti Cemetery, State Highway 67, Westport
- Old Reefton Cemetery, State Highway 69, Buller Road, Reefton
- Waimangaroa Cemetery, Pottingers Road, Waimangaroa
- Charleston Cemetery, Cemetery Road, Charleston
- Inangahua Cemetery, State Highway 69, Inangahua
- Addisons Flat Cemetery, State Highway 6, Westport
- Lyell Cemetery, Lyell Creek, State Highway 6
- Lyell Cemetery, Roadside State Highway 6