Residents can take their recycling to the Maruia Landfill and Recycling Facility on SH 65, 12km from Springs Junctions, where plastics #1, #2 and #5, cardboard, paper, aluminium tins and glass are accepted if rinsed, cleaned, checked, and separated.
The Maruia Landfill and Recycling Facility has a recycling container that has six boxes, one for plastics, one for paper/cardboard, one for cans and three for each colour of glasses (clear, brown, green).
The container can be accessed during opening hours Thursdays between 1pm - 2.30pm.
It is essential everyone follows these guidelines using the recycling facility:
- Only plastics #1, #2 and #5 are accepted, ensure that they are thoroughly rinsed and clean.
- Only clean flat cardboard and paper that is bigger than an envelope and has no liquid residue or food contamination are acceptable.
- Aluminium tins and glasses must be rinsed and be without any food residue.
- Glass must be separated by colour green, brown and clear.
- Do not leave any recycling material outside of the container at any time. If the container is full, dispose of your glass at the Reefton Transfer Station during opening hours. Do not leave material next to the container or surrounding areas.
- Do not put broken glass or mirrors in the container. They need to be disposed off as refuse at the Maruia landfill or Reefton Transfer Station.
Scrap, green waste, e-waste (electronical waste), whiteware, large batteries, household batteries, Agre-containers are received at the Reefton Transfer Station and Recycling Centre.