Skip to main content

Stock control

Find out what conditions you need to meet to move your stock safely in Buller. 

Stock movement

It is possible to move livestock by road in Buller if certain conditions are met.

The Livestock Movements Bylaw 2010 allows for livestock movements across and along Council controlled roads and State Highways in the Buller District. Please see below for the full Livestock Movements Bylaw 2010 or you can obtain a copy from Council offices in Westport or Reefton.

Livestock movements that do not meet the bylaw conditions will require written permission before they can proceed. Every person who fails to comply with this bylaw (including breaches of any condition(s) of a permit) is liable to a fine not exceeding $20,000. If you’re not sure if your planned stock movement meets the bylaw conditions, please contact us.

Wandering stock

Stock wandering on roads are dangerous to motorists.

If you see any stock wandering on roads or on your land, or find dead stock on beaches, please contact us on our 24-hour number 03 788 9111 or 0800 807 239.

Council may impound any wandering stock. Roaming stock and other animal control problems are subject to ongoing costs eg hourly rate , time and milage.

Rules and regulations

Buller District Council may make bylaws to regulate the movement of livestock on, across or along public roads under the control of the Council under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Bylaws Act 1910, Transport Act 1962 and the Local Government Acts 1974 and 2002.

For local bylaw information pertaining to animal and stock control, please refer to our section on Bylaws.