Buller District Council

Recycling and refuse – zone two Karamea

What is classified as refuse ? 

  • Refuse is anything which after it is used cannot be reused or recycled.
  • Refuse also includes glass and cardboard which is disposed of as refuse in zone two.

What happens with my refuse ? 

  • There is no kerbside collection in zone two.
  • Refuse may be dropped off in a generic single black rubbish bag up to 60L.
  • The bag needs to be dropped off at the Karamea Resource Recovery Centre. Official Council bags will not be accepted at Karamea Resource Recovery Centre.
  • Refuse may also be dropped off loose in car boots, trailers or small trucks.
  • Refuse is disposed off locally in the Karamea landfill, which is operated by WestReef Services Ltd.
  • You can pay with Eftpos or cash. Charge accounts are only allowed for certain government institutions. See our Karamea Fees and Charges (124Kb) for prices.

What is classified as recycling ? 

  • Plastics #1, #2 and #5 are only accepted presuming that they are thoroughly rinsed and clean.
  • Cardboard and paper are classified as refuse and refuse charges apply.
  • Aluminium tins continue to be accepted although any food residue prevents them from being recycled. You need to rinse, clean, check.
  • Recycling needs to put in the containers provided at the Karamea Resource Recovery Centre.
  • It is important that you rinse, clean, check your recycling. If items are contaminated will be disposed off as refuse.

What happens with my recycling ? 

  • Recycling is transported to the Westport transfer station where it is checked, sorted, compacted and stored to be send to processing plants. If you want to see what happens once your recycling arrives at the Westport transfer station watch this video.

To contact Buller District Council phone 0800 807 239

Opening hours: 

The Karamea Resource Recovery Centre and Disposal Facility will be open during normal hours.

Karamea Hours: 
Wednesday, Friday & Sunday9.00am - 1.00pm


Live Cam