Buller District Council

Building Services


Building work in New Zealand is governed by legislation – principally the Building Act 2004 and the Building Amendment Act.

The Act covers not only the construction of new homes and buildings, but also applies to alterations, demolition, and maintenance of existing buildings. The legislation aims to ensure buildings are safe, healthy, durable, and are designed and built right first time.

There may be other legislation that you will also need to comply with and can be found at New Zealand Legislation website. These include, but are not limited to, the following:

If you are a property owner thinking about carrying out building work, it is important you understand your rights and responsibilities under the Building Act and Regulations.

If you are undertaking a building or renovation project and have any doubts about the responsibilities, please contact the Building department at the Council and make an appointment to see one of the Building Inspectors.

We can assist with a range of building needs and requirements including:

  • Building consent applications and amendments
  • Project Information Memorandum
  • Inspections
  • Code Compliance Certificate applications
  • Compliance Schedules and Building Warrants of Fitness
  • Certificate of Acceptance information
  • Certificate for Public Use applications
  • Requirements for building on hazardous land

Building information sheets are available from Council offices or our website. You can also check the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment Website –Building Performance for a wide range of information related to building acts and regulations such as the Building Code Handbook and all approved Compliance Documents.




Live Cam