Buller District Council

Giving feedback to Council

If you feel that Council services, facilities, or actions have not been up to expected standards, or timeframes, give us your feedback. If you think Council has acted contrary to policies, bylaws, regulations or legislation, please talk to us. If you have issues with our processes, procedures or conduct, lets get together and discuss the issue. 

We are open for feedback and getting in touch with us is the first step to help resolve issues and improve how Council does things. If you are pleased with our services, like the way we do things, or think a Council initiative, decision or policies, or bylaw, has improved how things are done in the district, get back to us so we can keep doing it.

How to give your feedback ? 

There are many ways you can give feedback to Council. You can lodge a service request , send an email , or come to one of our offices in Westport or Reefton.

You can also contact Mayor Jamie Cleine. Unless he is out of town, he has chat sessions at the Clocktower Chambers in Westport between 9 – midday on Mondays. He also has chat sessions in Reefton before the Inangahua Community Board meetings (schedule here). You are welcome to call in and talk to the Mayor during these chat sessions.

Chats with the Mayor
Westport Monday, 9am – 12pm, Mayor’s office, Clocktower Chambers (excluding public holidays and when the Mayor is out of town)
Reefton Chats with Mayor – public drop in sessions
Tuesday 7 September 2021, 3 – 5 pm Reefton Women’s Institute Rooms (Plunket Rooms)
Tuesday 2 November 2021, 3 – 5 pm Reefton Women’s Institute Rooms (Plunket Rooms)The Mayor is available during or before the ICB meetings
Tuesday 10 August, starts 5 pm,  Reefton Women’s Institute Rooms (Plunket Rooms)
Tuesday 12 October, starts 5 pm, Reefton Women’s Institute Rooms (Plunket Rooms)
Tuesday 7 December, starts 5 pm, Reefton Women’s Institute Rooms (Plunket Rooms)

To keep up to date with any changes like Council’s facebook page.

How to give feedback about Council to an independent authority?  

If you feel you want to pass on your feedback to an independent authority you can choose to contact the Office of the Ombudsman. This is an option after you have got in touch with Council, made a complaint, heard back from Council, a resolution has been sought, and you still consider the matter not been settled.

The Ombudsman deals with public complaints about Central and Local Government organisations, including the release of official information. If you decide to approach the Ombudsman make sure you have lodged your complaint with Council first. The Ombudsman may decide not to investigate if you have already raised your concern with the relevant organisation and given it the opportunity to put it right.

How to contact the Ombudsman? 

Contact details are below if you wish to raise your complaint about Council with the Ombudsman.

Freephone 0800 802 602
Email info@ombudsman.parliament.nz
Please include a phone number in your email so that you can be contacted if necessary.
Website www.ombudsman.parliament.nz

How to contact the privacy commissioner? 

If you are concerned that Council may have breached the Privacy Act or if you are not sure of Council’s obligations, you can call the Privacy Commissioner’s Privacy Hotline 0800 803 909.

For more detailed information about the Privacy Act you can refer to the Privacy Commissioner’s website under summary of the Privacy Act 1993

How to request official information

Council holds a large amount of information including reports, emails, policies, documents, and databases. This big pool of information is official information and everyone has the right to request official information under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 (LGOIMA).

To find out how to do this go to our request for official information page.


Live Cam