You could get a $610 rates reduction as part of the Government’s rate rebate scheme to provide assistance towards rates for low income earners.
The amount of rebate depends on a combination of your income, the amount of rates you are charged, and the number of dependents you have. The maximum rebate is $610.
What is a rates rebate (reduction)?
It is a Government scheme to provide assistance towards rates for low income earners. The amount of rebate depends on a combination of your income, the amount of rates you are charged, and the number of dependants you have.
- The maximum rebate is $610
- Your spouses income is taken into account (that’s total household income)
- Your income for the period from 1 April 2014 to 31 March 2015 is used for this year’s calculation
Income does not include the following:
- Disability allowance
- Cash grants/capital payments
- War widow’s or war disablement benefits
- Medal or honour payments
- Grants for funeral expenses
- Prizes and winnings
- Family support
Am I eligible for the rate rebate?
If you wish to find out if you are eligible for a rebate please click here.
How do I apply?
Our staff are happy to help, but you must have all the information with you when you come to submit the application.
You can either:
- Download the application form
- Pick up an application form from one of our Council Customer Services teams in either Westport or Reefton
- Phone us on 0800 807 239 or 03 788 9111 and we will post a form to you
You need to complete the form and either:
- Complete the form with proof of income and bring it into one of our Service Centres
- Get an authorised person to sign the form (see details on the application form) and send the form to PO Box 21, Westport 7866.
When making your application – you will need
To make your application you must have:
- Your 2015/2016 rate accounts for both the Buller District Council and West Coast Regional Council
- Proof of income – this could be an IRD summary of earnings, certificate of earnings from your employer(s), statement of interest from your bank, details of share dividends, copy of your audited accounts if you are self employed or any combination of the above
- Proof of Work and Income payments can be obtained by visiting their reception and getting them to complete the earnings figure on the form and stamp the form with their stamp
Please note: Your application can not be processed without all the correct information.